Monica M. Cruz handles a wide range of family law matters. She started her legal career in the Child Support Litigation Division of the Texas Attorney General’s Office and has exceptional, specific expertise in cases involving children’s issues which she uses to help her clients with custody disputes, child support cases, and other divorce issues involving children.
Monica Cruz is Board Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, a designation that recognizes both her experience and expertise in Family Law matters.
While with the Office of the Attorney General, she handled nearly 3,000 cases in district and county courts, fighting to establish, modify, enforce, and prosecute child support cases. Her Spanish language fluency enabled Monica to represent all of the Spanish speaking clients during court docket days, approximately 30% of the child support cases.
Ms. Cruz has been recognized on the Texas Super Lawyers list of Rising Stars from 2010 through 2016, and she was also recognized as a Distinguished Member of the Round Table for the Latino American Who’s Who in 2014 and 2015. She was also recognized and featured in the Who’s Who of Top Lawyers of North America, 2015-2016 Edition.
Firmly committed to upholding the standards of the legal community, she proudly served on the District 1 Grievance Committee from 2011 – 2014 and was appointed for a second term of service through 2017. She is a member of the Golden Key National Honor Society, the State Bar of Texas Family Law Section, Dallas Bar Association, Family Law Section, Dallas Minority Bar Association, Collaborative Professionals of Dallas, and the Dallas Hispanic Bar Association.
Ms. Cruz is a board member of the Pre-GED School of Dallas. She is a 2005 graduate of the Texas Tech University School of Law. She earned her Bachelor’s Degree from Texas Tech in 1999, and participated in the Study Abroad Program, attending the University of Guanajuato’s Summer Law Institute in 2003.
- Texas, 2006
- Texas Tech University School of Law, J.D., 2005
- University of Guanajuato, 2003
- Major: Clerkship focusing on the “Ley De Amparo” in Mexico (constitutional issues)
- Texas Tech University, B.A., 1999
- Honors: Dean’s List Honors: Golden Key National Honor Society Major: Political Science
- Major: Political Science Major: Spanish
- National Association of Professional Women
- District 1 Grievance Committee, Beginning Term: July 2011, Term Ending: June 2017
- Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists, 2011 – 2014
- Family Law Section
- Dallas Bar Association
- Dallas Family Bar Association
- Collaborative Professionals of Dallas
- Minority Bar Association
- Hispanic Bar Association
- Named to Texas Super Lawyers list of Rising Stars by Thomson Reuters, 2010 – 2016.
- Top Young Lawyer in Texas as published in Texas Monthly Magazine, 2010 – 2015.
- Office of the Attorney General Unit 403 “In Action Employee of the Month,” October 2007.
- Appointed as an Assistant Attorney General for the State of Texas, November 13, 2006.
- Recognized in Latino American Who’s Who as a Distinguished Member of the Round Table — July 2014
- Top 100 Business Leaders in the United States,2014-2015 edition, of the Latino American Who’s Who.
- Top Attorneys of North America 2015-2016 edition of Who’s Who.
- Reimbursements Revisited: Separate Property Companies; Jensen Claims; Alter Egos; Reverse Piercing; and Representing the Spouse Who Does not Run the Company, (Co-Author), State Bar of Texas Advanced Family Law Course, 2009
- Working with the Psychologist, (Co-Author), State Bar of Texas Advanced Family Law Course, 2008
- “Self -Sabotaging Behavior” (Author)